Friday, August 15, 2008

The 10 Commandments of the Drive-Thru (1-5)

I have worked for a number of years now in the food service industry, specifically, fast food. One thing that sets a fast food restaurant apart from the others is it's drive-thru window. Yes, that wonderful place where the lazy can order their less than then healthy food without ever having to step one foot outside their vehicle. The Bane of my existence.
In the course my time of servitude to the food service industry I have come to loath the drive-thru. The people are often annoying, less than intelligent and can be a little rude sometimes. Not everyone is like this, I get plenty of people I don't mind serving, but its the others that ruin it for everyone. You probably know who I am talking about, and something needs to be done about them.
That is why I have come up with the Ten Commandments of the Drive-thru has some attempt to correct the most annoying of the bad drive-thru behaviors.
1) I am always Right. Remember I am the one who works there. I am the one who has been trained and knows what to do. I know my menu, policies, procedures, and job so don't argue with me. Except my superiority in this matter and move on with your life.
2) Know what you want. When you pull up to the menu board to order know or at least have a very good idea what it is you want/need to order. Don't make me or the others in line wait five minutes for you to make up your mind.
3) No loud engines. I have enough problems hearing you with out that deafening noise your car emits. I don't need permanent hearing loss. This especially includes Diesels. There must be some law written somewhere that states that big diesel trucks can't park but must go through the Drive-thru of a restaurant. Is the big dumb redneck inside is just trying to show off his new toy or something? I say he is just trying to compensate for something.
4) Hang up your Cell Phone. I once had a car come pull up to my menu board while they were still talking on their phone. I greeted them in my usual polite and speedy manner. They asked me to hold on just a minute which I did. I then spent the next 4 minutes listening to their phone conversation which had nothing to do with food. I actually had to remind them that i was waiting on their order and asked if they could finish there phone call later, and yes they where still on the phone when they pulled up to the window. I often have to serve a guest while they are on the phone or have to wait for them to finish. Its rude to me and to other guest. I can go on for hours about cell phones, but won't here. Just please hang up your phone long enough for me to serve you.
5) Do not overpay. What I mean by this is don't give me a large bill for a small order. It just eats up my change and gives me more to do and a bigger chance of making a mistake. I once had a man come through my D.T. at B.K. at 6:30am and order nothing but a coffee (which is fine) and with his senior-citizen discount it cost him $0.65. He gave me a hundred dollar bill for. ( I only carry $60 in change in my drawer to begin with) I had to get the manager and have them go into the safe to get this man his change. We are not a bank, don't treat us like one. A good rule of thumb might be not more than $5 in change, maybe has much has $10. I might make for an exception if your order is really big like over $20 or $30. Remember we do except plastic.

1 comment:

Richard said...

Wow, I never knew there were commandments when it comes to ordering food. I do believe though that I would pass the test. My engine isn't loud, I hate the phone, I don't always know what I want though. I don't overpay because I probably can't afford to be there in the first place.
But what about the old adage that the customer is always right?
I use to work the food industry, a long time ago, and I had to experience some of the same problems. Cell phones weren't as big back then, but I had to deal with them. I does get annoying and there were times when I knew I was right but my boss would tell me that no matter the costumer is right or I could loose my job.