Saturday, November 29, 2008

Surviving Thanksgiving with the In-Laws

Because I love my wife, I purchased plane tickets that would allow us to spend Thanksgiving with her parents in New Hampshire. Like most, the thought of a week with the In-Laws, including meeting the extended family I haven't previously met, leaves me feeling a bit apprehensive. But we live in the same city has my family and we get to see them all the time so it is only fair that we take the opportunity when one arises to see hers. It's only for four days so and if I take it one day at a time.....
First things to survive were airports and flying with a wife who doesn't like to fly. Aside from some nervous hand and leg squeezing during take off, turbulence, and landing, that went as good as can be expected. Her dad meet us at the airport and drove us down to where her mother was working. She nannies three young children which Tracy use to help her with in the summer before we got married. I visited them on my trip up there last summer but they didn't remember me. Then it was chines food and movies with the family. We also taught them Farkle which I won. The first day went well, I felt more relaxed and at ease then I have in the past and they seemed more ready to accept meas a member of the family.
Day two meant Tracy going shopping and getting her hair done with her mom and sister and me and the father in-law hiking in the New Hampshire mountains. We attempted to hike up Mt. Cardigan which had had about six inches on snow. The going was very slow up the mountain in the snow and due to time restraints and limited daylight we only got about 3/5 or so of the way up. (We both felt old and out of shape).
The time spent alone with my new father in-law was actually pretty enjoyable and I felt like he might like me.
Day three was Thanksgiving where I had to travel the house of my new Aunt Kathie and Uncle Gil and meet the rest of Tracy's dad's side. I managed to meet everybody and talked a little but kept to the background as much as possible. Thankfully I managed to make it through the evening without insulting anyone or making myself look like an idiot (as far as I can tell anyway).
Day four was the day I finally met Tracy's BFFs from high school. Despite feeling a bit like the 7th wheel it was a little amusing, if not alarming, to watch Tracy revert to a more 13 year old state which I nicknamed Captain Giggles.
Then early the next morning it was just having to survive a grouchy wife who hates flying and then home sweet home. All in all the experience wasn't that bad and I actually have to admit I enjoyed myself much more than I thought I would. In the very least I am no more worse for wear.

1 comment:

Gram & Gramps said...

It was great seeing you again. Now that you know we do not bit maybe we will get to see you sooner. You are a member of the family weather you like it or not....and we are a member of your family!!!! We are glad to have you.